Frågor om Båtar och modeller.
Questions about boats and modells

Moderator: Lars Lundbladh

Skriv svar
pdray

Question's on the 26f Fjord Consul Model

Inlägg av pdray »

Dear All.
I've aquire (two) years ago a very old Fjord 26f (8,4m) Consul.
[img=http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/7706/picture1iz1.jpg]
The hull and interior where in a very bad condition, and the rebuilding work was donne with many many working hours.
[img=http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/5222/picture2ee1.jpg]
Today i have a good size boat, with cabin, with two bed's and with a good fishing area. This boat have been my dream boat since the begining. I have already one good size Marlin, a SailFish, a very good Wahoo, etc etc.
The boat had no engines and due to that fact i've installed two Out Board Mercury Optimax 200cc. The consuption is marvilous and a full day, trolling for Marlin at 15n (speed) for 8h, covering 90n/m i just spend 75L per engine.
[img=http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/6323/picture3fn9.jpg]
So far so good you will say, but my problem is the following:
1) - When i go to the fishing grounds normally we ride with South wind on our port side. I ride is really unconfertable and i'm always working hard on the Stering Well.
2) - When i ride on the 21n (speed) the ride is eazy, but with my engines i'm only at 3,500 RPM, and if i try to push it to the 4,500RPM the nose is begining to get very agressive, meaning (again) alot of work on the stering well.
[img=http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6010 ... n01kk0.jpg]

Now the funny questions.

Does anybody know the hull speed of this boat? Is 21n the maximum speed? The hull has a funny shape in the front that's why he rides so funny?
Since the boat does not behaive well with side and back wind can anybody tell me if i need to put some wheight on the front of the boat or do something that might help me riding the boat with confort and without so much stress?

Rgs pedro Dray
Lars Lundbladh
Kontakt:

Inlägg av Lars Lundbladh »

Hi

The boat has a fairly deep V hull and should perform quit well in the water. With your engine mounting one would presume that she would lift the bow up but the description you give is that she more is ploughing I assume you have tried to tilt the engines ? Speculation from my side: maybe new propellers would help you. Have you checked that you have the right propeller for this task ? Normally outboards are used for more light weight boats meaning that you might need another type of propeller with this rather heavy weight boat.

Another thing you could try is to mount speed rails on the Hull this lifted my old boat up in the water and mead have a more pleasant ride. Although a little bit rougher.

http://www.ocke.se/motorboats/technology/index.html

The hull designed speed is around 30 knots she was normally delivered with two 170 hp inboards, from the beginning with 2x 130 hp but as she is quit heavy obviously need more power. I confiremd with Consul owners saying that the hull speed is best around 25 knots in higher speeds the hull seams to go to "over" planing.

/Lars
pdray

Inlägg av pdray »

Hi Lars

Your input is always good.
The alteration that i've done to the engines suport, might just changed the boat ride.
Like i've said previously the boys from Brunswick suport that idea, but since i'm not a Nautical Arquitect, i do assume the possibility of creat a problem. :cry:

I will wait for some more feed back, from the members of the Forum, or from someone that had this experience in the past and that might contribute to this issue.

As previously :D A BIG CONGRATULATION TO ALL MEMBERS OF THIS CLUB :D

Regards, and Keep Your Lines Tight :twisted:
cepe
Kontakt:

Inlägg av cepe »

The rather high superstructure will make the Consul (all boats with high superstructures) list into the wind. Deeper V-bottoms tend to list more than flatter bottomed boats. This is a consequence of counteracting the sideforce created by the wind with yaw input to the engines. The list has to be counteracted with trimptabs or differential trim on the engines.

Another possible issue is your CG (center of gravity). As you have moved the two engines further aft, effectively aft of the transom, then this probably will move the CG further aft. The Consul tends to be "tailheavy" in the first place, and your outboard installation might make it even more tailheavy and handling even worse.

Standard engines were 2x130hp Volvo Penta stern drives so you should have enough power. However the Consul is and was not meant to be a speed boat.

Good luck,

--cepe
cepe
Kontakt:

Inlägg av cepe »

I had a look at the pictures again and your hull extension might be a cause. If its rocker line is not suited to the original hulls rocker line it might cause odd behaviour. And its makes the CG-issue even more inpredictable.

From this picture Bild it looks a bit tailheavy.

--cepe
Skriv svar