motorsailers, 33's specially

Frågor om Båtar och modeller.
Questions about boats and modells

Moderator: Lars Lundbladh

Skriv svar
victor.crowhurst

motorsailers, 33's specially

Inlägg av victor.crowhurst »

I am still seeking any information about these boats from past owners, employees of Fjord, enthusiasts. I speak no Swedish so I am at a slight disadvantage, I speak some Finn, and can say please , thank you and skoll, is that encouraging?
Lars Lundbladh
Kontakt:

Inlägg av Lars Lundbladh »

The Fjord MS33 was introduced 1971 and the designer was Eivind Amble the boat was produced until late 70´s
The boat was sold at 160 000 SEK 1973 the price 1975 was approx. 188 000 SEK

/Lars
cepe
Kontakt:

Notes on Fjord MS33

Inlägg av cepe »

Here are some of my notes on bits of history and words of advice in the Fjord MS 33.

These are special boats which one either like or dislikes. I like them. My father had one in the late seventies and I have lots of good memories.

They were produced by Fjord Plast AS in Arendal, Norway, later also at Rjukan (in a mountain valley, far from the sea!). After Fjord Plast got into financial trouble the molds were sold to Denmark and more boats were produced by Ree Marine up untill the mid eighties. Rumor has it that the molds are broken up by now.

As the boats are coming to age one should keep an eye on how they have been kept and whether they are in need of major restoration.

The boats (I am talking about the boats produced in Norway with which I have some experience, though I have no reason to believe that the Danish boats were of lesser quality) are sturdily buildt with ample thicknesses in all laminates. I have sailed one aground at 5-6 knots with no more damage than cut in the gelcoat on the keel needing repair. She can take heavy weather, though a week point is the doors into the doghouse in the case of a breaching wave from behind.

Things to look out for are: engines in need of replacement, standing rigging in need of replacement and possibly osmosis damage to the hull.

Offwhite hulls are most common, but there are some with dark green hulls.

There were two interior designs available, a traditional interior with lengthwise berths and the pentry in the doghouse or a dinette interior with pentry "downstairs". The latter is most common.

In Norway I have seen one MS33 with a new higher rig. The rig is from what I know approx. 6' taller. Her owner reports it sails much better and I would say it looks better too, so that option should be considered if the standing rig needs replacement. This sailmaker did the modification: http://www.lyngorseil.no . I have seen a ketch-rigged MS33, but that boat is heavily modified, amongst other things without doghouse and with external rudder. I think this boat is homebuilt from the hull and up, not on the yard. It was registered in Sweden.

There are two wooden MS33s. One is the plug for the MS33 moulds and the other is a would be plug for a stretched MS33, the MS36, which never came to be. The Norselander , http://www.trebaat.no/dbtreb.htm (link no longer valid) is strongly inspired by the MS33.
victor.crowhurst

cepe-ms33

Inlägg av victor.crowhurst »

Thank you Cepe, that was most helpful. The boat in question is on sail because the owner has died and his widdow is not able to keep sailing. She wants a good price for it, it is one owner and the history of build and service is complete. I am a Nauticat owner so don't need another boat.
Skriv svar