Weekender 24 hull condition

Tekniska frågor om tex. motorer , el etc.
Technical matters about engines, electrical equipment etc.

Moderator: Lars Lundbladh

Skriv svar
cstephl

Weekender 24 hull condition

Inlägg av cstephl »

I have a 1969 weekender 24 here in Alaska. It has been in storage for about 15 years with no engines or outdrives. It had twin 170 volvos with 250 outdrives. It looks like a very good hull and I am considering restoring the boat including new stern drive engines or possibly a single stern drive. The hull looks to be in good condition. What is the life span of this hull? Is there anything in particular I should be inspecting on the hull before installing new engines? Do these boats have any wood in them that I should be concerned about? Once restored I plan to run the boat in rough water conditions and I am concerned about the hull being that it is now 35 years old. Is this hull designed for either single or twin engines? Other than the obvious transom alteration work, is there any problem converting it to single engine? Any engine recommendations? Any information would be very helpful and very much appreciated.
Best Regards,
Chris
Lars Lundbladh
Kontakt:

Inlägg av Lars Lundbladh »

Dear Chris

First of all it is nice knowing that the boats are spread all over the world and also of curse that our webpage is found by these Fjord owners. Most welcome to the “Fjord Family”.

The 24 fot weekender is a very seaworthy boat and craftsmanship of the boat is very rigid and well made. Normally these hulls last for a very long time. However the gelcoat tends to get brittle and cracks this is normal for all older Glasfiber boats the UV sunlight accelerates this process and it depends on where the boat is kept indoor/outdoor …
If the boat is still on land after some years I would have considered to epoxy treat the bottom of the hull to avoid laminate blistering see http://www.nautica.it/info/maint/osmosi_e.htm
Before putting it in to the sea.
If the upperparts needs restoring and you can not polish it you can paint the hull with 2 component paint.

Originally the older boats had often twin engine like 2xAQ130 , 2xAQ170 but also 1xAQ170 or V8 like AQ225 and sometimes Diesel. Newer boats had very often 1xV8 (AQ225,AQ260 ..) or diesel.

Engines is always a question … The AQ170 is still possible to get parts to but it becomes more and more difficult and expensive. Changing to one diesel or petrol engine is probably much more attractive. Here in Sweden many boats have a V8 from Volvo or Mercrusier all are based on a 305 or 350 GM engine in USA these are probably the most economic choice for the boat? Of curse a diesel is also attractive but more expensive. It is possible to reinforce and plug the two motor installation and very many boats in Scandinavia has a single engine installation the boat becomes less heavy and I think you will find it much more economic than the two 6cyl AQ170. If you install a new engine look for a new stern drive with power trim for the volvo´s this came with the 290 stern drive.

Wood in the hull is found in the transom (thick plywood) and under the deck and upper part of the boat (deck/cabin). Probably plywood and balsa wood as distains material. But other is only GRP Glasfibre.

/Lars Lundbladh
Flinn

Inlägg av Flinn »

If you are planning on going to sea I would strongly suggest keeping the twin engine configuration as being good seamanship. Failing that, make sure you have an auxilliary in case of engine failure.

Two beers please: my friend will pay
cstephl

Inlägg av cstephl »

Lars and Flinn
Thank you very much for the helpful information. Based on your info, I am currently looking into installing a single Mercruiser stern drive based on a small block chevy V8 of approximately 300 HP. The Mercruiser engine application guy informed me that I should not put less than 300 HP in this boat.
The bottom of the hull looks like it is in excellent shape, however the top of the hull is very weathered. It may buff out. Repairing the two holes in the transom for conversion to one engine will be a big project.
Thanks again for your assistance.
Chris
Skriv svar